To become known in the online medium, you need a portfolio website. And you can most easily make a portfolio website starting from good WordPress portfolio themes. We provide you a list of the best 15+ WordPress portfolio themes. You can use any of them confidently, and build a successful site that really represents you.
Guidelines for portfolio websites
Here are some basic principles you need to take into consideration when you start building your portfolio website:
Present yourself, not just your work.
Apart from listing your best work, you need to introduce yourself. Say who you are, what your passions and hobbies are, what you are talented at and what interests you most. Be as authentic as possible, besides presenting your education and professional course.
Present just your best work.
If there’s plenty to show in terms of work samples and portfolio, consider sorting them out. Do not throw everything in the website, only select the best work and present it as best you can. Including everything might be redundant, or deter users from getting to know what your strengths are.
Keep it concise.
Do not stuff the presentation with unnecessary words. Keep to the essentials, and sum up what you have to say about yourself as a professional. You want people to remember you as a brand, and for this you need a unique presentation. Keep it simple and easy to remember.
Tell a story. Your story.
For the data to be relevant and expressive, you need to provide some context. And you can do this by telling your story in the website pages. How you started working in the area, what the early experiences were, how you continued and what encouraged you to follow a career path. People will find it interesting to read about the human side related to a professional evolution. Don’t neglect it.
State a mission and a vision.
Similarly to business websites, having a mission and vision is important for a portfolio website. Why do you do the work you do, what are your standards, how do you expect to make a difference with your work in your area of expertise, etc. These are questions that the mission and vision statements should answer.
Last, but not least, publish awards and recommendations.
Awards and recommendations strengthen your presentation, and support your statements through third-party assessments. These serve as social proof, and have force to convince users to contact you for future projects.
Let’s see how a portfolio theme can help you achieve the above, and include all that’s necessary in your website:
Mesmerize is the perfect theme for a portfolio website. You can import one of the pre-designed templates, especially created for portfolio websites. Or you can make your site up from pre-defined sections in the theme.
The frontpage Header designs provide a wide variety of choices, depending on your niche (Mesmerize is a multipurpose theme). Customize it for your portfolio website. You’ll benefit from plenty of customization options that make your site memorable.
Zakra is one of the most popular WordPress portfolio themes. It’s professional and easy to customize. Using it, you’ll have a site in a few hours.
Features of Zakra:
- The Header has 3 areas you can customize: Header Top Bar, Header Main Area and Header Button. The Top Bar serves for different announcements, such as limited-time discounts and offers; you can activate it or leave it inactive. The Header Main Area refers to what displays on the screen. You can change its layout, enable/disable a search icon, choose a border bottom (dimensions and color), etc. The Header button refers to the main CTA in the homepage. You can type the text you want to appear on the button, and place a link on the respective button.
- The theme has options for posts/pages/blog. The options are separated into General options, settings for Blog/Archive, settings for single posts and options for Meta data. One strength of this theme is that it has plenty of layouts to choose from, for every type of page: default pages/blog/archive/single posts and pages.
- For the styling options, Zakra has multiple settings regarding base colors, link colors and buttons.
Portfolio Press is one of the best WordPress portfolio themes. It’s adequate for creative professionals, in areas such as photography, web design, art, etc.
- It has the regular options for defining a site identity: site title, tagline and site icon. The logo, favicon and apple touch icon can be uploaded directly in Customizer.
- The theme has special options for the Archive: full width archives. You can enable to display image and gallery formats on posts page, and you can activate the option to show archive titles.
- You can adjust the appearance of the homepage directly in Customizer: you can show latest posts or a static page.
This theme is perfectly suited for portfolio websites with minimalistic design. Such a website captures the essential, and serves as a strong recommendation of your portfolio.
Features of Minimal Portfolio:
- The theme has specific options regarding: post/page titles (background image and title background color), post slider (you can enable it or leave it disabled), sidebar sticky (you can set the blog sidebar/archive blog sidebar/single blog sidebar to sticky), back to top (you can enable it if you deem it appropriate), customizations for the portfolio content title, etc.
- Minimal Portfolio allows you to attach a blog to the website, and you’ll benefit from customizations regarding List Post Meta Items and Single Post Meta Items.
- You can choose specific colors for the Header Text and the Background.
Pixgraphy is a good fit for artists’ and photographers’ portfolios. The cards layout adapts well to image galleries that impress users.
Features of the Pixgraphy theme:
- The theme has specific options regarding the layout: you can turn on the responsive layout, as well as animation options. You should benefit from the photography layout, but there are additional layout options, as well. You can choose between full width layout and boxed layout, etc.
- A series of distinct features of the theme includes: enable/disable search form, enable/disable sticky menu, enable/disable Go To Top, disable top social icons, display page featured image.
- There are fields you’ll fill in with links to social media accounts, in the Social Icons category of the menu in Customizer.
Also, Gridsby is a theme for photographers’ portfolios. It has a Pinterest style gallery where you can replace the images with your own.
Features of Gridsby:
- Gridsby impresses through a wide range of customization options, from homepage settings, site identity and logo, to Google Fonts, Colors and Blog Layout, etc.
- Among particularities of this theme, we mention: photo post method – which results in animated lightbox for displaying photos, or photos with direct link to post. Gallery page pagination is useful for a Pinterest style gallery you choose to show on the website. Thus, you choose the number of photos to display with the pagination option in the gallery pages.
- The theme has specific settings for category pages in the website, which makes it easier to properly structure the site.
Emmet Lite is a perfect theme for professional-looking portfolio websites. It has a clean design and is simple to customize.
Features of Emmet Lite:
- The theme has plenty of features and options that allow for easy customization of a website. Among them, basic settings are ensured for the identity of the website: logo plus title, tagline and site icon, upload image for the Header, set up the website color scheme with Header/Background/Text/Accent color, etc.
- You have a special feature for the Big Title Section, where you can also include Calls-to-action.
- There are special settings for the First Feature Section, which helps you bring forward your unique value proposition.
- You can further customize the Second Feature Section, the Accent Section and the Subscribe Section.
ePortfolio is one of the ideal WordPress portfolio themes for graphic designers, photographers, web designers, professional bloggers, video producers.
Features of ePortfolio:
- There’s a specific section for layout management: you can select the global page/post sidebar layout, and you can also select the time span format.
- The layout options include a variety of styles for each of the following: latest posts/blog page, portfolio page template, photography page template.
- For a website where you’ll include plenty of photos, it’ll be useful to customize pagination.
- You can take into consideration the activation of a preloader.
- The theme is SEO-optimized, so you have an extra chance to get visibility in search engines and catch users’ attention.
Perfect Portfolio might be the perfect choice of portfolio theme. It can make your website stand out of the crowd. You’ll get a remarkable presentation in no time.
Features of Perfect Portfolio:
- The General Settings include a subsection related to SEO. So, you can make the website SEO-friendly. Additionally, the theme is Schema friendly, and comes with Speed Optimized code.
- The General Settings also include options to enable blog excerpts, set up the excerpt length, enable showing popular posts, etc.
- There’s a category dedicated to customizations of the site appearance: choose the site typography, select the background imaged, choose the background color.
Online Portfolio is a theme for building professional portfolio websites, in different areas. It has plenty of features you can use to customize your site to the minutest detail.
Features of Online Portfolio:
- This theme has the option to include a homepage Slider. Further customization options are available under this category in the Customizer menu. You can add CTA buttons in slides.
- Extensive options are available for the website layout. You can adjust settings for the default sidebar, feature image for single post/page, blog/archive.
- The specific theme options have various settings for the color scheme: both color options and color reset options give a plus of flexibility to the theme. In case you want to change the website appearance, you can use the reset options and align the design with the new branding guidelines.
Biography is part of the top portfolio themes, due to its simplicity and ease of use. It has a clean design and an adaptable layout, for a portfolio website that’s just perfect.
Features of Biography:
- The theme benefits from the basic customizations related to site identity (logo, site title, tagline, site icon), colors and color scheme, Header image, etc.
- Biography comes with a new feature: Header Text Slider, which you can enable for your website or leave disabled.
- The specific theme options refer to: layouts (you have to set the default layout and the archive layout), blog/archive (you’ll set the excerpt length), footer options (customize the text for the footer), breadcrumbs (you can enable them for better orientation of visitors in site), pagination, etc.
We recommend Elegant Portfolio for those who want to create a clean and elegant portfolio website. This theme has all the needed options for you to customize the site and give it your personal touch.
Features of Elegant Portfolio:
- One of the most important category in the Customizer menu is that of Appearance Settings. Here, you can select the typography (Primary Font and Secondary Font), upload a background image and select a color for the pages background.
- There’s a special category dedicated to layout settings: you’ll set up the blog layout and the general sidebar layout.
- The General Settings include some SEO customizations, which means increased chances your website will be visible in Google results pages.
Draft Portfolio is simple, it provides minimalistic design and an elegant presentation for websites. It’s part of the collection of WordPress portfolio themes that are suitable for photographers, illustrators, web designers, etc.
Features of Draft Portfolio:
- With Draft Portfolio, you can give your site an identity, using the basic features: upload a logo, create a site title, a site tagline, upload a site icon.
- You can give strength to your presentation by carefully choosing a Header image you’ll upload for your website.
- Besides the Header image, you can choose a background image for the pages of your website. You upload it and check the preview.
- Depending on what you want to display on the homepage, you can choose to show your latest posts or a static page.
Neptune Portfolio helps you create a gorgeous portfolio website. It has a standard four column grid supported by masonry, which makes it perfect for photographers, illustrators, graphic designers, etc.
Features of Neptun Portfolio:
- This theme allows you to set up the color scheme of the website, to your preferences. You’ll differentiate among background color, header & footer background color, header & footer text color.
- You can create your site identity, by uploading a logo, creating a compelling title and a tagline, uploading a site icon.
- You can upload an image for the pages background and check the results in the preview.
Avant Portfolio is one of the clean and modern WordPress portfolio themes you can successfully use for your website. It comes with many features that give flexibility in designing the site.
Features of Avant Portfolio:
- Settings related to the theme: different layouts you can choose from, highly customizable Header, slider you can include in the homepage, different customizations for posts, pages and footer, as well as SEO options.
- You have to choose the fonts for different text elements in site: title, tagline, body text, etc.
- You can choose the preferred colors for Header, Navigation, Pages and Footer, and create a unique color scheme that represents your portfolio site.
- The theme has specific features for the site as it displays on mobile and tablet. So, you can make the website fully responsive on mobile devices.
- Avant Portfolio has a section for adding links to social media accounts, which is important for a portfolio site that really “connects” you to your visitors.
16. RT Portfolio
RT Portfolio is one of the best WordPress portfolio themes. It’s clean. It has all the needed features to create a beautiful website, without being cluttered.
Features of RT Portfolio:
- The theme focuses on the customization of the front page, which is the most important page for this niche. There are plenty of options for the front-page design: specific settings for each needed section (About, Services, Portfolio, Testimonial, Team sections).
- You have the basic options to create the site identity, as well as settings for a banner in the front-page.
- The theme options are clearly organized as: Header options, General options and Footer options.
The Multipurpose Portfolio theme is suitable for portfolio websites related to any niche. It has a trendy design that’s easy to customize.
Features of Multipurpose Portfolio:
- The specific theme settings refer to: changing the default typography for headlines, body text and tags, choosing the website colors, customizing the top bar, adding links to social media accounts in the banner section, choosing the layout and text alignment for the footer, etc.
- The site identity options couldn’t have missed from the Customizer. They help you give personality to the website, using a certain logo, title and tagline, and a distinct site icon.
- You can upload a certain image for the website Header, and make the homepage more relevant, more expressive.
- The theme comes with various demos you can use as a starting point for your website.